Monday, June 30, 2008

Pitch. It's a card game?

I started my new clinical rotation today in Community Health. I was a little apprehensive about this because I heard that we are going to have to give an educational presentation in front of the senior citizen center. Actually I went into this today with an attitude that I normally don’t like to display. I went in wanting to hate Community Health.

I arrived to the small town where I was scheduled to be approximately ten minutes before my planned time. As I pull up I see the other nursing students sporting their maroon scrubs. We wait outside in a group to meet our instructor. I was not familiar with her beings I haven’t had a clinical experience prior today with her. All I had to go by was some peers that promised me she was great.

We do a bit of a self introduction so that she could learn a bit more about us. I hate this part of orientation. I do try and give the bare minimum information about myself. I usually state that my hometown is Sioux City, I have three kids, and I wanted to go into nursing after my mom had her stroke. I always get questioned about if I am married and what my mom thinks about being an influence on me continuing my education. People don’t need to know that I have been married twice by the time I was 20, divorced twice by 26, and that my mom has passed away so I have no exact way of knowing how she feels about influencing my decision into nursing; although, I am sure she would be proud and accepting of the idea. I don’t get it, but I just smile and go along with the ride.

After we were told exactly what we will be doing in Community Health, I become a bit anxious. I become anxious in a good way though. Surprising to me I am quite interested in Public Health and Community Health after the information that was given to us. Hmm…will I switch my goal of becoming a surgical or mental health nurse to becoming some sort of community health nurse? Maybe.

We were instructed that after lunch we will play Pitch with the senior citizens. That is all great BUT I had no idea what Pitch was. I have never even heard of it. So I went to lunch came back and I asked for information before we went to play this so called Pitch. I got made fun of because I didn’t know that Pitch was a card game.

I learned something today. I am not talking about learning that Pitch is a card game. I’m talking about something much more than that. This is something that many people don’t even understand or can even comprehend what I am talking about without experiencing it for themselves.

Going into this blind not knowing a lick about Pitch, I was more than nervous. I have done clinical with elderly people and let me tell you they do not like their routine changed. So how were they going to take me interrupting their afternoon ritual of playing a card game that I never even heard of?

I took a seat with another student nurse and three elderly women. I politely introduced myself and than sprung the news that I don’t know how to play Pitch. One of these ladies snapped back “Do you even know what cards are?” I smiled and replied “Yes, I even know the suits.” They started spitting off rules about bidding, trump cards, tricks, tray, etc. I was lost and scared that I was going to slow there card game.

The lady to my right had a hearing aid and explained that I would have to speak loud so she can hear me. The lady to my left explained that she is legally blind (she could see the cards when held about three inches from her face) and that she would need me to speak my cards when they are played. The other lady just smiled.

The first hand I got to deal; ten cards to each player and four cards in the middle. Clockwise the betting begun, I didn’t have a clue what was going on. I showed my cards to the lady on my right and she helped me through this hand. I still had no clue. The next hand was dealt by the lady that wanted me to be her eyes when I played a card. She even gave me tips on when I deal, that if I deal by twos and than throw one in the middle that it would be even and everyone would have ten cards and there would be four left in the middle. She was right.

After about six or seven hands I started to get the hang of it. I even started to get brave on my betting. Everyone sat around and everyone was smiling. I remembered to be the eyes when I threw down my card and I remembered to speak a bit louder than my normal for the ears could hear me.

This is what I am talking about, this is what I learned. I learned that these amazing individuals may need a little minor adjustment to have a conversation or to play a simple game of cards but they remain active. I learned a lot from these ladies; more than what they will ever know.
Not only did these ladies teach me the impossible of playing Pitch, they made me feel welcomed in their environment, in their lifestyle. I was their guest today and they had more heart than what I have seen in a very long time in a person.

I am ashamed and disappointed in myself for prejudging this clinical. I haven’t witnessed the actual Community Health part quite yet, but I tell you I am thankful to have met the women at that table. How would you feel to be the eyes for one lady and the ears for another all in the same day? I can’t describe the feeling that I got by playing Pitch. All I can say is I am very grateful to have got this experience.

No comments: