Monday, April 26, 2010

Past meet my present

What do you do when your past tries to meet your present?

That is what happened for me today.

I woke up this morning with my phone saying I had a friend request on Facebook. I use my phone to access the request while I am still nice and warm under my covers. And there it is---the name of the person wanting to be my friend.

I was actually excited. I seen my dad's name. I click on his profile laughing that my dad even figured out how to make a Facebook account and imagining in my head what in the world would he be doing on Facebook.

I was wrong. It was not my dad. It was my brother.

I haven't spoken to my brother since my mom had her stroke in December 2001. That is a really long time. Dalton was only 4 months old, Ian was 2, and Tiana was 4. That's a lifetime ago.

I tossed the idea around in my head on accepting or not accepting the friend request. Maybe it is time to make "peace". I accepted his request.

My day got stranger. I got another blast from my past but this time it was an e-mail. This is more of a "recent" past---if that makes sense. A very simple e-mail stating "Hi. How have you been?" I have absolutely no intention of responding.

If you know me than you know I save everything that is ever sent to me in the form of an e-mail. Everyone that I have ever talked to via e-mail has their very own folder. Call me strange, weird, psycho---it don't matter to me.

Today I didn't add that e-mail to that folder.

Such a simple thing to most, but to me it was more. Not because I deleted the mean-nothing-to-me e-mail but because I changed my normal. I changed my routine.

And who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?

No comments: