Friday, September 24, 2010

Super Mario Brothers

As most people know about me, I enjoy video games. I grew up on NES and played and beat every Mario Brothers game made. I still play Nintendo. I still play Mario Brothers.

I have my kids playing Mario Brothers on the wii and on their DSi's. It's funny watching them. My youngest gets really into the motions when he plays. If Mario is jumping---he jumps! He prefers to play Super Mario on the wii, unlike Ian who likes to play Super Mario on the DSi.

Whenever they can't beat a level or a castle, they come ask me to play it for them. I play, sometimes I die, but I won't return the controller without conquering the level. Ian looks at me in all seriousness and asks "Mom, where did you get your mad Nintendo skills?". I smile and seriously respond "We come from a long generation of video gamers." He smiled and asked who. I got to explain that not only did Grandpa (my dad) play Nintendo so did Great-Grandpa (my grandpa).

It made me think of the original NES and my Grandpa Jack used to play Metroid. I remember him getting so angry at that game he ran it under water and drove his car over it. The funny thing is---it still worked.

Growing up in a video game family wasn't always easy. I remember that the TV sat next to the front door (as it still does today) and the couch across from it. This caused problems as if you wanted to leave the house----you had to wait till there was a "save" point, this was the same when you were coming into the house as well.

We had two NES systems, one for the kids and one designated only to my dad. We couldn't touch his or his games. I remember before he bought the second system taking masking tape and outlining the controllers so I could play and than place them precisely back in place. Eventually dad bought the second system, and there on out whenever a new system came out he bought two.

I am thankful for video games as it was because of them that built a relationship with my grandpa and I along with my dad and I. I know it was hard for them to find something to relate to me with and I am glad it was Nintendo.

Back to my kids, they act like THEY beat the levels, castles, and the game. Of course I bring them back to reality. Ian asked me yesterday "Mom, what am I going to be able to play after I beat Super Mario on the DSi?" I looked at him and said "I dunno, how about going back and beating the levels by yourself?" He smirked and didn't say another word.

I bring video games up as sometimes it is hard for me to find things to relate to with my kids. Tiana is getting older and well is much more of a girly-girl than I ever was. However, she and I relate with clothes, makeup, music, etc. The boys are big into building things, cars, video games, sports, etc. They see me as a "girl" invading their space. Having a connection with them where they see me as one of "them"---Priceless.

No comments: