Thursday, September 25, 2008

You are holding what?



As promised real human brains, heart valve, lungs, and more.

At the zoo they had a Latino Festival set up. We walked around to all the booths and the one that caught my eye and the kids eye was the 'health care' tent. Imagine that.

We learned how to make 'pills' from capsules and colored sugar. The kids enjoyed it but it left me thinking--should we really teach kids that pills are candy? Anyway, we than counted out our own monthly prescription of skittles. Again associating pills to candy?

The next table shown us how to remove staples after a surgery. They stapled together paper towels and the kids tried to remove the staples without riping the paper towel. Lets just say they need more practice!

My favorite table was next, a man dressed in a lab coat with four or five things hidden under a towels. I seen disposable gloves so I knew it had to be great. My youngest and I head over. One he can start a conversation and I would be able to peak under those towels. This nice man is in his last year of school to become a surgeon. He peeled back the towels and there sat a full brain, a half a brain, a smokers lung, a non smokers lung, and a heart that had a valve transplant. I was glad to see that my youngest was into it just as much as I was. He put on some gloves and got to hold them all.

Maybe I have the next surgeon as my son...

No comments: