Monday, October 13, 2008

October 13th, 2006

What were you doing two years ago today?

I can tell you exactly what I was doing. I was spending my last night as a Sioux City citizen. My moving van was packed and I stayed up most of the night nervously thinking to myself if I was making the right decision on moving 300 miles across the state. No doubt in my mind--I made the right choice.

Honestly I was scared out of my mind. I left my family behind, my friends, everything that I knew was in Sioux City.

I remember arriving here to Ottumwa and crying myself to sleep for weeks. I missed everyone but I kept telling myself that it was temporary--I will soon be back home.

I can remember going home over Christmas in 2006 and I remember the mind games my ex husband insisted on partaking in. At that moment I knew that my choice of moving 300 miles saved not only my sanity--but my life. I can remember having a conversation with my cousin in tears saying "I just want to go home" but the ironic thing was I was talking about Ottumwa. It was that moment that my family realized that I did exactly what I needed to do to make my life just that--my life.

This weekend I get to make the trip back 'home' to Sioux City. I am quite excited and looking forward to seeing all my friends and family. Of course the tattoo shop is on the top of my to do list--rumor is I might come home with some new ink...

No comments: